Pellet Reasoner Plug-in for Protégé 4
Protégé is the leading OWL ontology development environment for both commercial and academic uses. The Pellet Reasoner Plug-in, version 1.0, makes Pellet 2 available in Protégé 4, including Pellet’s unique capabilities: datatype reasoning, SWRL support, etc. (In a future release of the plug-in, Pellet’s incremental classification feature will also be available.)
Commercial Development & Support
Clark & Parsia LLC provides custom development and support for both Pellet 2 and Protégé (versions 3 and 4); please get in touch with us if your organization needs on-demand support for or customization of these tools.
Pellet Reasoner Plug-in License
Use of Pellet 2 in Protégé via the Pellet Reasoner Plug-in is according to the terms of Pellet’s license. In short, Pellet is available either under the terms of the free software license, AGPL v. 3 license, the full text of which is available, or Pellet may be licensed for use in commercial or proprietary products by contacting Clark & Parsia.
The Pellet Reasoner Plug-in is distributed via the auto-update feature of Protégé 4. To install, follow these steps:
- Select “File | Preferences”.
- Select “Plugins” tab.
- Click the “Check for downloads now” button under the “Plugin registry” heading.
- Scroll down the “Downloads” list to find “Pellet Reasoner Plug-in” and select the checkbox next to it (See the screen shot below).
- If you agree with the licensing terms click “Install”.
- When you see the “Updates will take effect next time Protege starts” message, restart Protégé.
Environments with restrictive firewalls may prevent the automatic auto-update from connecting to our website to download the plugin. In such a case, follow these steps for manual installation:
- Download the plugin from the website using your web browser: Plugin for Protégé 4.0 , Plugin for Protégé 4.1 alpha – before build 209 , Plugin for Protégé 4.1 beta – build 209 and later
- Copy the downloaded file (com.clarkparsia.protege.plugin.pellet.jar) to the “plugins” directory inside of your Protégé installation.
- Restart Protégé